Destination America Canceling TNA

    Share
    avatar
    Spudz

    Posts : 544
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Spudz on Wed May 20, 2015 9:04 pm

    from F4w
    Destination America made the decision to cancel TNA Wrestling, with the time frame given at the end of the third quarter (roughly the last week of September, when the current television season ends). Key people at the Discovery Channel network were informed of the decision at that point.

    The word internally was that while they considered the ratings good, the ratings were not good enough to justify the cost of the programming. The other problem was that so many regular station advertisers specifically did not want to advertise on the show.

    It should be noted that when the word was sent out, it was stated specifically that TNA would remain on Friday nights, with original episodes, until that point, and informing people for the fall season plans for Friday nights. Just days later, they were moved to Wednesday.

    The decision was meant to be kept secret, very much like Spike kept secret publicly last year its decision to drop TNA for months after the decision was made and reported. It doesn't serve the station or the promotion any good to publicly cancel the show this far in advance. The public acknowledgment was expected to come around the time the station listed its 2015-16 television season prime time lineup with the launch of up front advertising.

    Those who were informed of the cancellation have not been told at this point anything different several days after the change of date was announced. But things obviously have changed, at least to the degree of moving days. So this story is very much ongoing.

    What is known is that Destination America reacts quickly to ratings. After the 3/13 episode, when the Friday show's numbers dropped to a new low, the decision was made to cancel the Saturday morning programming with the idea that eliminating the replay would help the Friday number, which is the only number they cared about. And Friday numbers did increase somewhat after that point. Eventually, they've dropped almost all their TNA programming except as far as time fillers, because of the difficulty in selling ads, and canceled all first run programming with the exception of the two hours of Impact airing multiple times on Friday nights. For the 5/8 show, the hope was going almost live would help deliver a big number, and Destination America also purchased an ad in USA Today to promote the show, thinking the added advertising and live would lead to an increased rating. Instead, the first episode did the second lowest number ever, and the replay, which is thought to be for the West Coast viewers in their prime time, did the all-time record low. Granted, that was more due to the NBA playoffs and going against a Cleveland Cavaliers game than anything else, but clearly the live hype meant nothing. Days later, the original decision to cancel was made.

    Dixie Carter at TNA was aware of the decision early last week although it doesn't appear that most of the talent knew anything since word of things like this would get around quickly and this had not. Her knowing may have played a part in the move to Wednesday, but that is uncertain. Carter didn't respond to any questions on the subject.

    There were officials from the network in Nashville this week meeting with the creative team on plans going forward.

    The problem with TNA at Destination America is the curse of pro wrestling, that even the good numbers don't mean what they should because advertisers won't pay anywhere near the value for those viewers as for other sports or entertainment.

    What makes the business a catch-22 is WWE has created a production look of what people think pro wrestling is supposed to look like on TV. The cost to get anywhere near that look costs money, and it's impossible to make that back in traditional ways unless you are WWE. So the only answer is either to be owned by a network, like ROH, but even they are limited because the network hasn't heavily invested in production or the product, or find a network willing to pay for the product, like Spike did for all those years. For the USA Network, wrestling is valuable because they are battling for the label of being No. 1 in prime time cable, and starting in January, with five hours per week of prime time wrestling. Even if they can't sell that advertising at the rate of lower rated shows, they can sell advertisers on being the most watched prime time network. For Spike, they were at the time looking at building a channel for guys, and pro wrestling is guys entertainment with a very loyal viewership. Plus, with Spike, because of the programming they did, the hope was wrestling would bring an audience into the station that they could promote other shows, whether it be Bar Rescue or Bellator, off. With Destination America, whatever viewers TNA brings in, that viewership doesn't mesh nearly as well with the rest of the network's programming.

    TNA had multiple suitors last year coming off Spike, although they ended up making a deal with a virtually unknown station with less than full national clearance. Even though the quality of the programming is better, it hasn't created new interest in the product. In the television industry, being canceled two straight years, which is still not a definite although those at the station have not been told anything new since official word was given of the cancellation, is not a good sign.
    avatar
    Swarles
    Admin

    Posts : 2633
    Join date : 2013-12-12

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Swarles on Wed May 20, 2015 9:15 pm

    damn spudz you're good, you somehow beat me to this despite not being on the board in months.

    Also FTR yes, this is really in the observer.


    danhere

    Posts : 89
    Join date : 2013-12-16

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by danhere on Thu May 21, 2015 12:23 pm

    my guess they will end up on youtube and prob work a deal with wgn america with wgn chicago to air replays from wgn america after cw network programing or on weekends.

    thats what future stars of wrestling does in vegas ,they have shows on you tube and tv on mylvtv early morning (they also have shows on tufftv,though they are in rerun mode now)
    avatar
    RFSKannon

    Posts : 231
    Join date : 2013-12-14
    Age : 40
    Location : Indiana

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by RFSKannon on Thu May 21, 2015 6:05 pm

    Apparently TNA is threatening Defamation suits against anyone passing this "false" news alone as it "Hurts their public image.".

    via PWInsider:

    By Mike Johnson on 2015-05-21 16:15:57
    TNA issued the following statement this afternoon via email to PWInsider.com in response to stories circulating today that Impact Wrestling was canceled by Destination America:

    Statement from TNA Regarding IMPACT WRESTLING

    It has come to our attention that several internet news sources have falsely attributed statements to TNA, its executives and broadcasting partner. These false statements constitute defamation and if necessary we will seek all legal remedies available to us.

    We are told the same statement was issued via email to the TNA roster and staff.
    avatar
    SBR

    Posts : 1960
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by SBR on Thu May 21, 2015 6:47 pm

    DIEEEE TNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE


    _________________
    avatar
    Swarles
    Admin

    Posts : 2633
    Join date : 2013-12-12

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Swarles on Thu May 21, 2015 7:01 pm

    Guess who didn't get one threatening e-mail.

    Plus, I have records of all my e-mails over the past two weeks to Dixie addressing every issue covered.
    -Dave Meltzer, from the F4W board.

    avatar
    TeeBeeKay

    Posts : 1170
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by TeeBeeKay on Thu May 21, 2015 7:08 pm

    Now that pretty much any wrestler I care about is gone from TNA, I kind of want them to stay in business just so we can keep getting awesone stuff like this and the bischoff lawsuit
    avatar
    Swarles
    Admin

    Posts : 2633
    Join date : 2013-12-12

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Swarles on Thu May 21, 2015 7:17 pm

    I don't know, I kinda want them to sue Meltzer, lose, and go out of business from legal costs. TNA fans would be SO MAD AT DAVE.

    avatar
    Joe5150

    Posts : 620
    Join date : 2013-12-17
    Age : 29
    Location : Dennis, Cape Cod, MA

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Joe5150 on Thu May 21, 2015 7:39 pm

    Swarles wrote:
    Guess who didn't get one threatening e-mail.

    Plus, I have records of all my e-mails over the past two weeks to Dixie addressing every issue covered.
    -Dave Meltzer, from the F4W board.

    To or from Dixie? If it's just him sending e-mails with TNA/Dixie not responding, then it won't hold up in court.

    As much as I want to say 'lolTNA', but I have been pointing out for years now that Meltzer has been straight up making stuff up about TNA, not always, but most of the time. At times it feels like he has a vendetta against the people backstage. Whe n stuff he says is going to happen, doesn't, he backtracks and basically says 'well, that's what I was told.'

    If something is bad/negative news, but is true, that's obviously ok to write about and discuss on his audio shows. However, if he is legit just making stuff up, that is libel for the print and slander on the audio., especially since some of the weekly audio shows are on Sirius/XM, thus has to go by FCC Pay Radio Rules.

    I know all this, because I'm in radio. I was a Mass Communications with a focus on Radio Broadcasting/Production with also doing(minor in) journalism classes(J1, J2, & Jadvanaced). I know all too well about FCC rules & Regs, plus print journalism rules. First things you learn before you can even start doing broadcasting or write a public article.

    If he is not abiding by those legal rules, then TNA actually has an easy lawsuit that Meltzer would have a real tough time winning. If he just gave his OPINION, then TNA would not have a case, but he reports news, thus he can be held accountable.

    I'm not supporting TNA or Meltzer, I'm relaying the info I learned & practiced, in college(Required legal rules & tests that I had to do before broadcasting or typing out the news).


    _________________

    XBox One GT: KrankDaddy
    Twitter: @JJSmithRadio
    Instagram: @JJSmith1987
    avatar
    Swarles
    Admin

    Posts : 2633
    Join date : 2013-12-12

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Swarles on Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 pm

    1. Dave is not on the sirius show, it is Bryan Alvarez and Mike Sempervive
    2. You're just assuming he is making this up, which is insane. Dave has been doing this for like 30 years, i think he knows how sources work. The reason TNA hasn't atually sent him anything is because this is the emptiest of empty threats, they know who he talked to and know there isn't a case. Also the fact that TNA responded to it is pretty amazing since it only draws more attention to it and legitimizes it.

    PS Dave is now feuding with Billy Corgan on twitter.


    Last edited by Swarles on Thu May 21, 2015 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

    avatar
    Spudz

    Posts : 544
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Spudz on Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 pm

    As someone that has read Dave's stuff from the 80's to now .. There no way he goes around making things up to get people back for not talking to him or whatever..  Now does he have sourses that give him false stories at times.. yeah for sure.

    There no way this big of story .. Dave going make it up or not be very sure about it likely happening.
    avatar
    Slayer

    Posts : 560
    Join date : 2013-12-21

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Slayer on Thu May 21, 2015 11:02 pm

    Meltzer definitely gets plenty of stuff wrong. I mean he's in the business of selling backstage rumors. Now, I don't believe he intentionally reports incorrect information, but he's also not going to go around and let people know when he gets stuff wrong either (i.e. Punk returning to WWE in time for WM XXX, Vince Russo attending Lucha Underground tapings to join the creative team).

    As for this potential news, while TNA has had plenty of problems and put on some very bad stuff at times, it would still be very disappointing if they do end up getting canceled in September.

    For all of their faults, TNA has given opportunities to plenty of talent that WWE wouldn't have seriously given any consideration to. They also given veterans and wrestlers that didn't make it in WWE a chance to earn a regular paycheck and a chance to reinvent their careers.

    As much as people think that their current roster or even the wrestling industry will be better off with TNA gone, I don't see that being the case. WWE can't and won't hire everyone (or even that many people from TNA for that matter), ROH & New Japan's rosters are so bloated right now that they have to send guys elsewhere just to get booked regularly, and GFW is still an unknown without an actual TV deal. Lucha Underground also apparently has to keep their spending under control in order to finance a second season.

    Also, the chances for other promotions to get TV deals won't be very good. I say that because if TNA gets canceled yet again within the same year, it won't look good to other broadcasters. Think about it, how likely are networks to give new wrestling companies a chance if a show with strong, consistent ratings like Impact got canceled by both Viacom's Spike TV and Discovery Network's Destination America?

    And let's not forget, this message board itself was originally a product of TNA as well. While so many fans want to dance on their grave, just realize that it's not a good day for the industry if they lose another TV deal and go out of business.
    avatar
    Swarles
    Admin

    Posts : 2633
    Join date : 2013-12-12

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Swarles on Fri May 22, 2015 12:36 am

    Honestly man, the roster is gonna miss out on a few shows a year. A lot of the roster is already back on the indies taking dates because TNA is hardly running any shows. And when they do run shows, they are paying people late. This isn't a bunch of guys losing an awesome gig, it's a company finally fading away.

    That said, they won't fade away. TNA will probably post shows on youtube and keep going until the ring and lights get repossessed.

    avatar
    SBR

    Posts : 1960
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by SBR on Fri May 22, 2015 2:26 am

    I mean I've been a F4W/WO sub for a couple of years now and I can't remember anything other than the Punk return to WWE that Dave has said that has been flat out wrong or "defaming". The Russo/Lucha stuff was at least true in the point where he was going out there and he might have been looking for a job.


    _________________
    avatar
    TeeBeeKay

    Posts : 1170
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by TeeBeeKay on Fri May 22, 2015 2:44 am

    I don't know if anyone follows or listens to the voices of wrestling guys but they're claiming that they got sent a screencap of a text convo between wrestlers last week where one guy who used to work for TNA said both that DA was cancelling(before dave reported) and included a story of how Dixie sent an email to her people calling the execs at DA "dummies" and she accidently cc'ed the president of DA

    Not sure if I believe it or not, but i really want to
    avatar
    Swarles
    Admin

    Posts : 2633
    Join date : 2013-12-12

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Swarles on Fri May 22, 2015 3:40 pm

    That would explain why dave said this was like the Russo/Mike Johnson thing on twitter.

    avatar
    Slayer

    Posts : 560
    Join date : 2013-12-21

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Slayer on Fri May 22, 2015 5:01 pm

    I think it's very telling that there aren't any wrestlers excited about the prospect of TNA losing another TV deal, and potentially shutting down.

    Even CM Punk retweeted a tweet from Lou D'Angeli (aka Sign Guy Dudley/Lou E. Dangerously) about how this isn't a good thing for the wrestling industry.

    Seems that the only people gloating about this news are wrestling "journalists" who thrive on negative gossip & recording miserly-laden podcasts and "fans" who crap on everything and illegally stream/pirate PPVs, shows, and DVDs.
    avatar
    Spudz

    Posts : 544
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Spudz on Fri May 22, 2015 6:07 pm

    Slayer wrote:I think it's very telling that there aren't any wrestlers excited about the prospect of TNA losing another TV deal, and potentially shutting down.

    Even CM Punk retweeted a tweet from Lou D'Angeli (aka Sign Guy Dudley/Lou E. Dangerously) about how this isn't a good thing for the wrestling industry.

    Seems that the only people gloating about this news are wrestling "journalists" who thrive on negative gossip & recording miserly-laden podcasts and "fans" who crap on everything and illegally stream/pirate PPVs, shows, and DVDs.
    scratch

    Any smart wrestler/person wouldn't come out in public & be excited about TNA losing another deal. even if they have a beef with Dixie&the company.. That just going make them look bad and have several piss off former friends.








    avatar
    Joe5150

    Posts : 620
    Join date : 2013-12-17
    Age : 29
    Location : Dennis, Cape Cod, MA

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Joe5150 on Fri May 22, 2015 7:26 pm

    - Here are the latest details on TNA’s situation with Destination America, courtesy of Pwinsider.com…

    * Those within TNA were very upset with the cancellation reports going around and have denied that the network has told them anything. The same people were upset because Destination America had two representatives in Nashville all week working on creative plans with Billy Corgan, John Gaburick and the rest of the creative team. These plans reportedly are for the rest of 2015 and into early 2016.

    * There was a plan yesterday to film an interview where Josh Mathews would sit down with Dixie Carter to respond to the reports. They dropped those plans and opted to release the statement that came out later in the day yesterday. The feeling is that the statement should have come from Destination America, due to fans expecting wrestling promotions to work them or not tell them the truth.

    * There is a report going around (originally from Voices of Wrestling) which says that Dixie Carter accidentally cc’d a top Destination America executive in on an email complaining about the Network. This story has been going around internally and no one in TNA has outright denied this happened. A source in the company did say that relations between the two sides became strained. Destination America representatives are not returning requests for comment.

    From TNA Creative Head & Samshing Pumpkins lead, Billy Corgan, he's calling B.S. on Meltzer

    [quote]As we previously noted, a report in The Wrestling Observer claimed that Destination America has either cancelled or is on the verge of cancelling TNA Impact. In a post on Twitter, Billy Corgan responded to the rumors.

    Lou D’Angeli posted about how TNA’s cancellation is not a good thing and Corgan replied to that tweet. He wrote:

    Lou DAngeli ♫ @LDAngeli
    Wrestling biz needs places for the boys to work, learn, & get exposure. Loosing a TV deal is not something people should be gloating about!

    William Corgan ✔@Billy
    @ldangeli It wouldn't be so bad if the whole truth was being reported and the person reporting wasn't being worked himself by a sloppy angle

    William Corgan ✔@Billy
    AND let's remember that I speak from experience, having had things written about me by Meltzer that he never got a statement from me about

    Dave Meltzer @davemeltzerWON
    Sort of sad about Corgan, his words are almost identical to Russo about Mike Johnson when he did that story last year.

    Tuco @CNega33
    @davemeltzerWON do you think he even read the entire article from the WON?

    William Corgan ✔@Billy
    @davemeltzerwon For your info I did read your highly irresponsible piece. And as much as I love Vinny Ru this is a different situation

    Corgan and others in TNA & Desination America are disputing this. Hopefully they release a full statement, giving us the legit run-down of what, if anything, is happening.....but the feeling I'm getting is TNA is not canceled, especially with DA executives working with them all week.


    _________________

    XBox One GT: KrankDaddy
    Twitter: @JJSmithRadio
    Instagram: @JJSmith1987
    avatar
    TeeBeeKay

    Posts : 1170
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by TeeBeeKay on Fri May 22, 2015 8:40 pm

    They haven't disputed anything, if someone said my show was cancelled and I knew it wasn't my first response would say in plain english, the show is not cancelled

    TNA made a bunch of vague empty statements meaning nothing, we went through this same thing 10 months ago with Spike
    avatar
    Spudz

    Posts : 544
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Spudz on Fri May 22, 2015 9:33 pm

    Joe5150 wrote:
    - Here are the latest details on TNA’s situation with Destination America, courtesy of Pwinsider.com…

    * Those within TNA were very upset with the cancellation reports going around and have denied that the network has told them anything. The same people were upset because Destination America had two representatives in Nashville all week working on creative plans with Billy Corgan, John Gaburick and the rest of the creative team. These plans reportedly are for the rest of 2015 and into early 2016.

    * There was a plan yesterday to film an interview where Josh Mathews would sit down with Dixie Carter to respond to the reports. They dropped those plans and opted to release the statement that came out later in the day yesterday. The feeling is that the statement should have come from Destination America, due to fans expecting wrestling promotions to work them or not tell them the truth.

    * There is a report going around (originally from Voices of Wrestling) which says that Dixie Carter accidentally cc’d a top Destination America executive in on an email complaining about the Network. This story has been going around internally and no one in TNA has outright denied this happened. A source in the company did say that relations between the two sides became strained. Destination America representatives are not returning requests for comment.

    From TNA Creative Head & Samshing Pumpkins lead, Billy Corgan, he's calling B.S. on Meltzer

    As we previously noted, a report in The Wrestling Observer claimed that Destination America has either cancelled or is on the verge of cancelling TNA Impact. In a post on Twitter, Billy Corgan responded to the rumors.

    Lou D’Angeli posted about how TNA’s cancellation is not a good thing and Corgan replied to that tweet. He wrote:

    Lou DAngeli ♫ @LDAngeli
    Wrestling biz needs places for the boys to work, learn, & get exposure.  Loosing a TV deal is not something people should be gloating about!

    William Corgan ✔@Billy
    @ldangeli It wouldn't be so bad if the whole truth was being reported and the person reporting wasn't being worked himself by a sloppy angle

    William Corgan ✔@Billy
    AND let's remember that I speak from experience, having had things written about me by Meltzer that he never got a statement from me about

    Dave Meltzer @davemeltzerWON
    Sort of sad about Corgan, his words are almost identical to Russo about Mike Johnson when he did that story last year.

    Tuco @CNega33
    @davemeltzerWON do you think he even read the entire article from the WON?

    William Corgan ✔@Billy
    @davemeltzerwon For your info I did read your highly irresponsible piece. And as much as I love Vinny Ru this is a different situation

    Corgan and others in TNA & Desination America are disputing this. Hopefully they release a full statement, giving us the legit run-down of what, if anything, is happening.....but the feeling I'm getting is TNA is not canceled, especially with DA executives working with them all week.
    Wait!! Who from Destination America is speaking up about TNA???
    avatar
    Slayer

    Posts : 560
    Join date : 2013-12-21

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Slayer on Sat May 23, 2015 1:47 am

    Spudz wrote:
    Slayer wrote:I think it's very telling that there aren't any wrestlers excited about the prospect of TNA losing another TV deal, and potentially shutting down.

    Even CM Punk retweeted a tweet from Lou D'Angeli (aka Sign Guy Dudley/Lou E. Dangerously) about how this isn't a good thing for the wrestling industry.

    Seems that the only people gloating about this news are wrestling "journalists" who thrive on negative gossip & recording miserly-laden podcasts and "fans" who crap on everything and illegally stream/pirate PPVs, shows, and DVDs.
    scratch

    Any smart wrestler/person wouldn't come out in public & be excited about TNA losing another deal. even if they have a beef with Dixie&the company.. That just going make them look bad and  have several piss off former friends.  


    Professional conduct has never stopped wrestlers from saying stupid things. Even when it comes from wrestlers under contract with the company they are trashing (i.e. Kid Kash and TNA).
    avatar
    Spudz

    Posts : 544
    Join date : 2013-12-13

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Spudz on Sun May 24, 2015 2:23 pm

    Audio Clip of "Meltz gloating about TNA being "canceled" on his latest miserable negative podcast"
    avatar
    Slayer

    Posts : 560
    Join date : 2013-12-21

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Slayer on Mon May 25, 2015 2:19 am

    Cute. The passive-aggressive tone on this forum is adorable. Try developing some reading comprehension while you're at it as well.

    I never implied that Meltzer specifically was gloating about TNA potentially going out of business. It is more so fans that are doing that. Just check any wrestling site, forum, or page throughout social media, and you'll see countless fans giddy at the possibility of TNA shutting down.

    I even listened to Live Audio Wrestling's Review-An-Impact this week where Brian Mann (who's claim to fame is being a WWE writer for less than 3 months) flat-out said that the wrestling industry would be better off if they did go out of business. Needless to say, I won't be listening to that show anymore. That's not because I'm that upset over what he said about TNA, but it's mainly because I don't enjoy a self-loathing white male disingenuously try to represent the interests of minorities and females on what's supposed to be a wrestling podcast.

    This situation is bringing out the worst in a lot of wrestling fans. I just hope that whatever is truly going on gets made clear soon by those directly involved.
    avatar
    Swarles
    Admin

    Posts : 2633
    Join date : 2013-12-12

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Swarles on Mon May 25, 2015 11:44 am

    I really, really think you are over estimating the effect TNA being gone will have on the business. I'm not saying it will be better off, but i think there are maybe a handful of guys at most that won't get work anywhere else (Angle will probably retire, I don't think anyone will want to book Mr Anderson, etc.) Most of their talent should land somewhere else just fine.

    But like I said before, they totally aren't dead. They will post shows on youtube, or syndicate them to local channels or something. TNA will not die-uh.


    Sponsored content

    Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:54 am