UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida & Rousey vs. Davis

Slayer

UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida & Rousey vs. Davis

Post by Slayer on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:01 am

Haven't done one of these in a while, since the UFC has way too many cards now. But this felt like a big enough fight card to make a thread for.

UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida
    Saturday, July 5, 2014
    From the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada
    Live on Pay-Per-View at 10 PM ET / 7 PM PT

Main Event:

UFC Middleweight Championship: Chris Weidman (C) vs. Lyoto Machida (#3)

Main Card Bouts:

UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship: Ronda Rousey (C) vs. Alexis Davis (#2)

Heavyweight Bout: Stefan Struve (#12) vs. Matt Mitrione

Middleweight Bout: Uriah Hall vs. Thiago Santos

Bantamweight Bout: Marcus Brimage vs. Russell Doane

Preliminary Bouts: (Live on FOX Sports 1 at 8 PM ET / 5 PM PT)

Bantamweight Bout: Urijah Faber (#2) vs. Alex Caceres (#11)

Welterweight Bout: Kenny Robertson vs. Ildemar Alcantara

Middleweight Bout: Chris Camozzi vs. Bruno Santos

Bantamweight Bout: George Roop vs. Rob Font

Preliminary Bouts: (Live on UFC Fight Pass at 7 PM ET / 4 PM PT)

Middleweight Bout: Luke Zachrich vs. Guilherme Vasconcelos

Middleweight Bout: Kevin Casey vs. Bubba Bush
    Swarles
    Admin

Re: UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida & Rousey vs. Davis

Post by Swarles on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:41 am

Good to see you slayer. I figured you were spending all your free time trying to catch up with all these UFC cards.

This is easily the best card they've put on all year. Hell that Faber fight could have (maybe should have) headlined the past 4-5 free shows they did.

Slayer

Post by Slayer on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks. Now that I'm on Summer break, mostly cause I can't afford to take Summer classes, I have had plenty of free time to finally watch some of those older shows, among other things like exercise and sleep.

I also canceled Fight Pass as I wasn't thrilled about the service, nor the first month I got charged for as they took their time responding to me in order to cancel before the trial was over.

I actually won't be able to watch this card live, as I'll be at the Mayhem Festival all day. However, I am looking forward to the two main events and Faber's fight. The remainder of the main card sucks, as do most of the prelims.

Putting Faber on the TV prelims is good for the fans I suppose, and as an attempt to increase their struggling PPV numbers. However, doing back-to-back fight cards with the TUF 19 Finale on Sunday is a mistake. Not to say that Frankie Edgar vs. BJ Penn on free TV is a bad idea, but both cards will suffer by stretching their resources too thin.
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:34 am

Oh God i keep forgetting that finale is the next day.

SBR

Post by SBR on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:28 pm

Probably going to try and get to a bar and watch this tomorrow. It's really hard to keep up with UFC nowadays though.

Post by CapitalTTruth on Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:47 pm

I turn 30 on Sunday so we are bbqing and hanging out all day and watching the fights in the evening. I hope I remember them.

This card is fun on paper, but kind of deceptive. 2/3 of the "good" fights are pretty one sided.

I have Machida winning in the third. I think people are too quick to conflate Silva and Machida and how Weidman will perform against them. Machida is a different thing all together, much better takedown defense, different stance, different angles. It will be a good fight and I am not going to be shocked if the champ retains, but I am banking on Machida becoming the third person in UFC history to hold belts in two different weight-classes.

Davis is a ready made win for Rousey. She doesn't have punching power or dynamic athletic ability. Anything can happen, but I really see Rousey winning in the first or second. I hope I am wrong. Rousey has bugged the shit out of me for the last 6 months.

The undercard doesn't bother me. I am always happy to see Struve and I hope he murders Mitrione. I used to like that guy, but no longer. Hall is relatively interesting to me too. I think he is overblown and will be ultimately exposed as a word-beater in a REALLY small word.

Faber vs Caceres is a joke fight. I hope Caceres wins because I can't stand Faber, but i don't see it happening. This is much like the Rousey fight, cool to see a name everyone knows, but I don't see this being competitive.

Post by CapitalTTruth on Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:08 pm

Weidman really showed me something last night. He is very very good and very technical. The problem is, he is really good at boring things, meaning he is impressive, but not flashy or particularly exciting.

Post by SBR on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:06 pm

So I watched the fight at a beer garden and I gotta say the Rousey and Weidman fights were electric. Especially Weidman who is from NY. The crowd also really got behind Hall and his broken ass toe.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:49 pm