ROH Thread

JustSkiff

Re: ROH Thread

Post by JustSkiff on Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:05 pm

Lions Den 2K14!
    SBR

Post by SBR on Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:06 pm

I also read that NJPW guys aren't coming in for the stadium show they're doing. But they're looking at Styles, Bad Influence, the Bucks and the Hooligans. Which I'm cool with.

So, Ring of Honor is my new favorite fed

Post by Joe5150 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:37 am

I stopped watching years ago, because I thought the shows were mind-numbing boring(not bad matches, but not an interesting product). So, recently being fed up with WWE & TNA, I've decided to 'buy'(you know what I mean) some of the last iPPV's.

The ROH I'm watching now, I feel like I'm watching ECW in it's prime, but with better production values and really a better talent pool. I finished Global Wars and I'm 1 and a half hours into War of the Worlds. Even the in-ring intros are good and they, for the most part, have better themes than TNA.

So far, start to finish I'm loving the product. Especially with all my favorite current New Japan talent on the shows, AJ Styles, Bad Influence to return, Kevin Steen is awesome, The Briscoes are great, Jay Lethal is decent, good to see Alex Shelley again in America(loving the Time Splitters), and I'm really liking the crop of younger talent. Kevin Kelly, Steve Corino, & Nigel are the best announce team in wrestling. I'm liking Biker-stable heel AJ Styles, he just seems cooler than he was in his last year or so in TNA. Unless TNA drastically improves, I wouldn't mind seeing guys like Samoa Joe back with ROH. I imagine once his 90-days are up, Matt Sydal will be back.

Feuds/storylines are basic, but good. Not over-complected like TNA or boring/old talent stealing the spot-light like WWE.

There are some talent that I'm not a fan of, but that's with every promotion, at least with ROH it's very few talent I don't care for. Adam Cole, Michael Elgin, Mike Bennett/Maria, and a few others, but that's about it.

I'm glad ROH is doing good right now and has a hot product, I mean almost match actually means something. Also the super hot crowds really help the shows.

Anyway's, after several years, I'm finally a ROH fan again and I've been hoping that got better(for my tastes).
    SBR

Post by SBR on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:38 pm

I bought tickets to their show in BK, I am paying more attention to them now. They're not as boring as I remember them either.

Post by Swarles on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Just FYI those NJPW/ROH shows aren't really a good indication of a typical ROH show. Crowds were hot for NJPW, and obviously there was a lot of extra talent there.

The last ROH TV I tried to watch (this past weekend's) was still pretty boring.

dragondragon

Post by dragondragon on Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Yeah. I wouldn't base ROH off of some cross promo shows. But to each their own.

Post by JustSkiff on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:29 pm

For the record I've watched most of ROH's shows the past year or so, and have enjoyed most of them. However, I wouldn't say they've gotten back to a high point. However, the two NJPW shows give them huge momentum.
    SBR

Post by SBR on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:41 am

I like that in their last show they cut Elgins mullet. The results sounded good too (Ethan Page!) Its just too bad only 500 people in some weird town in Illinois are going to see it.

Post by CapitalTTruth on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:53 pm

I haven't caught much ROH in quite a while. I used to see a TV taping once in a while and thought they were all really hit or miss. Some segments I enjoyed and some I was bored to tears by. Reading up on them, they do sound like they have hit a bit of a stride. I think they just got some energy from the cross promotion and from guys like Styles and to a lesser extent Hero being on shows again.

Post by Joe5150 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:33 pm

The Triple Threat for the IWGP Title w/ AJdefending against Elgin &? OKAD was pretty good. However, there is something about Elgin I can't stand. He looks weird and is over-rated in the ring. OKADA &AJ Styles made that match goof at War of the Worlds.

XBox One GT: KrankDaddy
    Twitter: @JJSmithRadio
    Instagram: @JJSmith1987
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth on Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:27 pm

I agree. I can't get behind Elgin. I think he is just super strong and it lets him do a lot of spots that normal people just can't pull off. It is good for him and his opponent. Plus he is at least functional to pretty good otherwise. I just can't bring myself to care about him though.

Post by SBR on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:47 am

Ring of Honor announced ACH vs. Takaaki Watanabe vs. Caprice Coleman vs. Tadarius Thomas vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Tommaso Ciampa in a six-men mayhem match for Sunday's Best in the World pay-per-view. The winner of the match will earn a future ROH TV Title shot. Read the official announcement at ROHwrestling.com.

Powell's POV: Is this the equivalent of the "get everyone on the show" match that WWE has at WrestleMania each year? Even if that's the case, there is some real talent in the match and it could be a lot of fun. Join me for live coverage of the ROH "Best in the World" pay-per-view as it airs on Sunday night.

Really think that BITW is a weak PPV debut. But the six man mayhem should be good. Hopefully they put over friend of tIr, ACH.

Post by WWF Attitude on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:40 pm

I don't think its that weak

Most of the matches on the show have been built up for a big pay off.

I feel like Kevin Steen vs. Silas Young is going to be a potential show stealer.

Post by TeeBeeKay on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:58 am

So Dave said Dearborn Mi might be Steen's last show, already announced for that show are Daniels and Kazarian and Romero and Kozlov, and ROH just tweeted something about the Bucks coming back soon and I imagine they'll be there too

Dear God, ROH actually has me fired up to go see a live ROH show again
    SBR

Post by SBR on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:10 pm

@findevan · 40m
    Hello Nashville.....

Trollin or what?

Post by JustSkiff on Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:13 pm

I think Baurer rumored that there were two surprises that ROH was trying to get worked out. One would make sense but the other would be really huge if they could pull it off.

I could see Sydal being that huge surprise. That said, I also don't really believe that he would spoil this surprise himself.
    SBR

Post by SBR on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:16 pm

I thought the ROH PPV last night was pretty good. Nothing memorable as TBK had said in the chat but a good show with a memorable ending. Also Jason Powell is reporting Sydal was backstage last night. So see you in 90ish days bro.

Post by dragondragon on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:47 pm

Yeah, he will no doubt be back in ROH. Wouldn't mind seeing him and Shelley in Japan either.

Post by JustSkiff on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Sydal is probably the only guy from the old ROH era that would be more loyal to Delirious than Gabe.
    SBR

Post by SBR on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:27 pm

From this weeks Observer:

One behind the scenes story is that Matt Korklan, the former Evan Bourne, was in Nashville and scheduled to make an appearance on the show as Matt Sydal. Based on what we were told, since the talent let go last week were given 90 day non-competes where they make their downside guarantees, WWE still has control over them through around 9/18. Korklan contacted Hunter Johnston, the ROH booker, as soon as he got released and said that he had been given the okay he could work for ROH. He was immediately booked for the show. ROH then contacted WWE to get it in writing, and after a few days, WWE told ROH that he would not be allowed to appear for ROH until the September date. Korklan was there and described as being on Cloud Nine, just happy to be there. He was scripted to come out for an interview before the title match and challenge the winner, saying he was coming after the title, but that had to be scrapped. He was there giving advice to the younger wrestlers after the matches as a way to justify the cost of his flight.

Post by kingofswing on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:57 pm

Worst ROH champion of all time in my humble opinion. Bring back Xavier!
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:32 pm

ROH doing a show in my home state of WV? So sad I am not in the region any more.

Post by JustSkiff on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:07 pm

I believe this will be the 2nd ROH show in WV, or I'm thinking about CHIKARA running there.
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth on Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:52 am

I wouldn't be surprised if ROH ran one up north before. For some reason I am THINKING they did, but I am not 100% sure. It is just always a little shock when anything comes to the state except country/folk musicians (shitty ones to state fairs and good ones to Mountain Stage).

Post by SBR on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:03 pm

7/6 Observer

Preston City Wrestling in Preston, England, which brings in the biggest name indies for dream matches, announced three shows for Supershow of Honor. The shows will be held at their regular venue on 11/28, as well as an afternoon and evening show on 11/29. Preston City Wrestling released the news in a video. The wrestlers featured were Kevin Steen, Michael Bennett, Michael Elgin, Kyle O’Reilly and Bobby Fish. I don’t expect Steen available by that point and O’Reilly and Fish’s contract will both be expired by then. This deal has been in the works for some time and a lot of ROH talent has worked PCW shows in the past. The idea is to bring in a lot of ROH wrestlers and PCW is modeling the idea after the Global Wars show from Toronto with a lot of ROH vs. ROH and PCW vs. PCW matches, as well as mixed matches.

Fish’s deal just extended and O’Reilly’s has a short period of time left. There has been interest in both from WWE as far as attending a camp, New Japan obviously has interest in them, although that would help ROH keep them and not preclude ROH. AAA has interest in most of the guys from that PWG group for when they start taping in the U.S. and Fish & O’Reilly are high on that list. TNA has expressed interest in Fish, O’Reilly, ACH and Roderick Strong to replenish the X Division, plus with ROH on PPV and TNA trying to usurp ROH as No. 2 in the New York market, the two are like competition.

As far as Matt Hardy goes, he’s booked on the 7/12 show in Hopkins, MN, which is the company’s next event (main event is Hardy & Adam Cole & Michael Bennett vs. Michael Elgin & Hanson & Rowe, the War Machine tag team getting their first shot in a main event. A final decision on using Hardy going forward is pending. He had more dates originally booked with ROH before he took the three TNA bookings in New York.

John Morrison was contacted to come in for the Best in the World PPV but that deal didn’t happen.

Michael Bennett’s contract expires in November.

A.J. Styles’ future dates here are the 8/15 Brooklyn MCU Stadium show, 8/22 in Milwaukee, 8/23 in Chicago, 9/6 in Toronto, 9/27 in Wheeling, WV (ROH debut in the market) and 10/25 in Lakeland, FL.

The Young Bucks have been added to four shows, 8/9 in Philadelphia, 8/22 in Milwaukee, 8/23 in Chicago and 9/6 in Toronto.

The TV show this week was built around getting over Michael Elgin as the new champion. He did a sit-down interview with childhood and early career photos. They had comments from original trainer Tyson Dux and showed Elgin beating him. Elgin said he became a fan watching ROH at a friend’s house. Jimmy Jacobs said how Elgin would drive all over the country trying to get on ROH shows before going to a tryout camp. Jacobs said that Elgin didn’t connect with people right away, but Truth Martini, a judge at the camp, said he saw something in him and Martini and Roderick Strong pushed for him to get a spot. Then they showed his match with Davey Richards which was his breakthrough performance. Then they showed a great match with O’Reilly, a match with Rhino. Dux said that Elgin would end up being one of the elite stars like C.M. Punk and Bryan Danielson. Elgin said that when he looks back on everything he did to get where he is, he can say it’s all worth it because he’s accomplished something.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:45 am