UFC 168 - Silva vs Weidman II

CapitalTTruth

UFC 168 - Silva vs Weidman II

Post by CapitalTTruth on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:32 pm

Any UFC fans still on this board? This is the big rematch of the year, headlining the best card of the year by far (IMO).

Thoughts?

Predictions?

Re: UFC 168 - Silva vs Weidman II

Post by CapitalTTruth on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:37 pm

My predictions:

Leban derails the Hall Hype Train for good (or at least for a long while) and Hall gets his walking papers.

Poirier and Brandoa tear the house down for fight of the night.

Miller and Camoes do a lot of grappling, no clue who wins but it will be fun.

Barnett does to Browne what he wants, takes him down, roughs him up, and gets time for a weird interview where he says something vaguely funny but head-scratching.

Rousy weathers a small storm from Tate before... you guessed it... an arm bar in the second.

Silva damn-near kills Weidman.

Admin

Post by Swarles on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm a fan of Barnett and I am very confident he wins this fight, but he's in that weird place where he could probably get himself a title shot, but he would get slaughtered in the fight (whether it be vs. cain when he returns or for like an interim title vs. JDS) so I'm not really sure what his futture is.

Rousey by arm bar, no doubt.

Anderson is a weird case. Because you would assume he's out for REVENGE~! now but he's almost exclusively a counter fighter. So I really expect to see the same old Anderson, just with like 75% less clowning. That said, i think that's enough to beat Weidman.

Slayer

Post by Slayer on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:44 pm

While this is a very good card, I don't believe it is the best of the year, especially since the UFC has decided to increase the price to a full $60 for the show. However, it is still quite good.

I don't get why so many fans just assume Anderson is going to run through Weidman this time around. I initially thought he would do that in the first fight, but when it actually happened Weidman absolutely manhandled Anderson. You can call it clowning around, but that's how Anderson sets up strikes.

I believe Weidman will win again, and I don't believe how motivated Anderson is will have much of an effect on the outcome.

Rousey should easily beat Tate again, even though it would be nice to see Ronda lose so she could just fade away and move on from fighting, since she seems to hate being involved in MMA now she's had a taste of Hollywood.

Due to Cain Velasquez having shoulder surgery and being out most of next year, Barnett vs. Browne won't be for a title shot. It may not even be to see who advances to a title eliminator depending on when Cain recovers, although the winner is expected to face current #1 contender Fabricio Werdum. I expect Barnett to win as he is much tougher than Overeem and has more ways to win.
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth on Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Slayer wrote:While this is a very good card, I don't believe it is the best of the year, especially since the UFC has decided to increase the price to a full $60 for the show. However, it is still quite good.

I don't get why so many fans just assume Anderson is going to run through Weidman this time around. I initially thought he would do that in the first fight, but when it actually happened Weidman absolutely manhandled Anderson. You can call it clowning around, but that's how Anderson sets up strikes.

I believe Weidman will win again, and I don't believe how motivated Anderson is will have much of an effect on the outcome.

Rousey should easily beat Tate again, even though it would be nice to see Ronda lose so she could just fade away and move on from fighting, since she seems to hate being involved in MMA now she's had a taste of Hollywood.

Due to Cain Velasquez having shoulder surgery and being out most of next year, Barnett vs. Browne won't be for a title shot. It may not even be to see who advances to a title eliminator depending on when Cain recovers, although the winner is expected to face current #1 contender Fabricio Werdum. I expect Barnett to win as he is much tougher than Overeem and has more ways to win.

In what world was Silva manhandled in that fight? Weidman couldn't take and keep Silva down and as soon as Silva realized that he got loose. Weidman was landing SOME but mostly because Silva didn't believe he could hurt him. Clowning is part of Silva's fighting style, but he went overboard in the fight. He can call it a footing issue, I think Silva watched every aspect of the fight he worried about go by the wayside and got too loose. Silva easily looked like the superior fighter before he was nocked out, and I am not saying he deserves a pass. He got knocked out and lost, simple. However, I think the next fight looks a lot more like the first 6 minutes than the last 18 seconds.

I am not saying that picking Weidman is crazy. he is a dangerous fighter and I am not putting money on it. I just don't see how Weidman manhandled Silva. That said, I was being somewhat hyperbolic. I am picking Silva via KO and I think he looks real good doing it, but it isn't a run away. I will say that I think a Brazilian is champ by this time next year. Between Silva, Machida, and Belfort, someone from Brazil is going to get that belt, IMO.

Post by Slayer on Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:19 am

Weidman took Anderson down without much struggle and was landing some very devastating punches that bounced Silva's head off the mat. He showed that he can more than handle his own against Anderson on the ground, and with the KO, is certainly capable of keeping things competitive standing.

I really felt like the UFC was overhyping Weidman heading into their first fight in July, and so did the UFC by booking a rematch so quickly and pretty much anticipating Anderson winning in what they are setting up as his do-over. But Weidman really showed that the hype was justified in how he performed, not just the fact that he won via devastating KO.
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:27 am

Weidman was 1 of 2 (kinda 3 if you count him trying to get low on silva against the cage in the first) and had him down for a fair period, but didn't really hurt him. That second takedown shot wasn't even close. Silva was far superior on the feet. Not just showboating, Silva was way faster and his head movement, until the KO, was on point. I just don't see anything about Weidman's performance that constitutes domination or manhandling.

However, if Weidman is a bit smarter in this fight he may have a chance. If he doesn't get baited into a boxing/kickboxing match with Silva the fight could look completely different. I think those leg kicks were already getting to him because Weidman's second shot was REALLY slow. If he stays dogged about his takedown attempts and doesn't stay in range he could really change the face of the fight, but if he tries to fight the same fight he did last time I see him getting KOed

Admin

Post by Swarles on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:44 am

It's really, really a shame how the main event ended. Not just was that gruesome, but it still kind of leaves the door open for people to make a "but Anderson could totally beat Weidman!!" argument. That said, I'm convinced. Weidman is the man.

Just make sure you have that Vitor fight in the USA, Weidman. Maybe hire 3-4 additional companies for drug testing while you're at it.

WhoBetta

Post by WhoBetta on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:49 am

HOLY SID VICIOUS WHAT A PPV STREAM!!!

Seriously, best UFC show all year.

SBR

Post by SBR on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:56 am

What a way to go down, jeeze.

Post by Indy on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:32 am

I really thought Wiedman had Silva KO'd in the 1st round. Herb Dean had to be a punch or two from pulling Wiedman off. In retrospect, I bet Silva wish he did.

The snap of his leg is still echoing in my head, It was so sick.

Rousey/Tate absolutely delivered. Crowd was red hot and it was a great heel/face battle (I was rooting for the heel).

I'm often in awe of the similarities between modern UFC and late 90's wrestling. Rousey with her finishing move is another eery similarity. Pretty soon she'll name it.

Decent card, Most every fight was worth watching. I'll be avoiding Silva replays as long as possible though, that was just too sick for me.

Rousey may be worth more money than any other active fighter by the end of 2014. They confirmed Rousey .vs. McMann to headline UFC 170. Very short rest period for Rousey.
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:59 pm

What a shame. I really don't feel like we know who the best fighter between the two is and I don't think we ever will. Whatever. Hats off to Weidman, he had a good game-plan coming in. He looked a little sharper than I expected. Clearly he worked A LOT on checking leg kicks. I think that was going to change the way things played out. WW and MW are going to be really interesting as they are going to have new faces in 2014.

Rousey looked really good. Tate was well prepared, but physically all she could do is survive. I LOVE that they announced McMann vs Rousey already. I really wanted to see that, though I am somewhat concerned that McMann is a touch green still. Rousey isn't going to be a far superior athlete in this one. She is going to have a new set of challenges.

Travis Browne has arrived folks. Not only was that an impressive KO, but he looked really good up to it. His footwork was nice and fluid. His hands were on point. Most importantly to me, he was using his range better than I have seen in the past. I look forward to seeing him against Werdum or maybe even JDS.

Miller was Miller.... killing hype and displaying his somehow underrated sub game.

I think Poirier looked great too. Brandao is a mad man. He apparently threatened to stab Poirier before the fight, crazy. Poirier is on my short list for real breakout stars in 2014. I know he is already a top 10 contender but he still has to get a big name win to break out.

Overall this was an entertaining and fun show with a sad finish.

Post by JustSkiff on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:16 am

"Let's watch the replay and see if we can see the bone break"- Joe Rogan
    Slayer

Post by Slayer on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:11 pm

CapitalTTruth wrote:What a shame.  I really don't feel like we know who the best fighter between the two is and I don't think we ever will.  Whatever. Hats off to Weidman, he had a good game-plan coming in. He looked a little sharper than I expected. Clearly he worked A LOT on checking leg kicks. I think that was going to change the way things played out. WW and MW are going to be really interesting as they are going to have new faces in 2014.

Rousey looked really good. Tate was well prepared, but physically all she could do is survive.  I LOVE that they announced McMann vs Rousey already.  I really wanted to see that, though I am somewhat concerned that McMann is a touch green still. Rousey isn't going to be a far superior athlete in this one. She is going to have a new set of challenges.

Travis Browne has arrived folks.  Not only was that an impressive KO, but he looked really good up to it. His footwork was nice and fluid. His hands were on point. Most importantly to me, he was using his range better than I have seen in the past.  I look forward to seeing him against Werdum or maybe even JDS.

Miller was Miller.... killing hype and displaying his somehow underrated sub game.

I think Poirier looked great too. Brandao is a mad man. He apparently threatened to stab Poirier before the fight, crazy.  Poirier is on my short list for real breakout stars in 2014.  I know he is already a top 10 contender but he still has to get a big name win to break out.

Overall this was an entertaining and fun show with a sad finish.  

At this point, it really looks like Weidman just has Anderson's number. A big, accomplished wrestler with heavy hands and a durable chin was always viewed as the prototype of what kind of fighter would eventually beat Anderson. However, due to how successful Anderson had been against wrestlers before, that theory seemed to be debunked.

The difference with Weidman though is that in addition to his superb wrestling skills, he also has quite the submission grappling pedigree (he was quite an accomplished BJJ grappler before transitioning into MMA). I feel that did make a difference as Weidman managed to take Anderson down in both fights and not get lured into any submission attempts by Anderson. The way he even used that Ezekiel choke and can opener to frustrate Silva was further proof of his overall grappling prowess.

While that gruesome leg break was quite unfortunate, the way in which Weidman checked those leg kicks is a legitimate technique. It's not the most convincing way to win a fight, but Weidman was showing early on the fight that he was clearly capable of holding his own with Anderson again.

Weidman will have some interesting challenges coming up in the likes of Vitor Belfort and Lyoto Machida. Belfort's looking like a monster right now, but if he fights in the US, he will likely look like a much different fighter.

Rousey vs. Tate had a predictable outcome, although Miesha did do a better job of surviving this time. Maybe I'm being crazy, but it felt like Ronda didn't fully commit to the armbar attempts she went for earlier in the fight. It almost felt like she let Miesha survive in order to test out her other skills.

It's unfortunate for Tate that she has terrible fight IQ, as she seemed to be having some minor success striking with Ronda. That's why I don't understand why she would continue to foolishly shoot in or clinch with Ronda, as she would then get violently tossed.

Ronda will have a quick turn around when she fights Sara McMann in February. Although McMann has been inactive as of late, she seems to have the physical tools to compete with Rousey quite well. She's an Olympic silver medalist, so she will easily be the best wrestler Ronda has ever faced, and she has a very strong build. It's likely that Ronda won't be able to muscle McMann around like she has previous opponents.

Travis Browne made surprisingly quick work of Josh Barnett. It was a quick fight, but Browne just seemed to be a physically bad matchup for Barnett.

Browne will likely face Fabricio Werdum next, as the heavyweight contenders sort themselves out while Cain Velasquez recovers from shoulder surgery.

Jim Miller was robbed of Submission of the Night bonus, as his armbar was far more impressive than Ronda's, and came against a far more skilled submission grappler.

Dustin Poirier just thrashed Diego Brandao. Brandao has just been such a disappointment after winning TUF 14, where he looked like an absolute killer against some pretty solid competition. With wins like this, Poirier will be back in the title picture very soon.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:26 am