WWE Network

Swarles
    Admin

Re: WWE Network

Post by Swarles on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:20 pm

Stream has been working. VOD has been pretty bleh but i just loaded up Battle Bowl 93 without a hitch. Though I did have it paused for a few minutes while i went in the other room.

WhoBetta

Post by WhoBetta on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 pm

They're about to show Cesaro/Zayn 2 of 3 falls from last year.

Seen it... Happy to see it again.

Admin

Post by Swarles on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:25 pm

And about 10 minutes into battle bowl the App gives me a big middle finger, freezes the video and then just starts it from the beginning.

The PhenomenalBullyOne

Post by The PhenomenalBullyOne on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:05 am

so much for the VOD being fixed by 6pm.
    WhoBetta

Post by WhoBetta on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:59 am

VOD is a GO!

Benjamin/Orton. Bad Blood 2004. Its on!

Post by WhoBetta on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:02 am

Confirmation.

I was on PPV. Smiling... Generally looking like a doofus.

Admin

Post by Indy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:13 am

I watched Legends Roundtable just fine, but WCW World War 3 1998 froze on me VOD.

WWF Attitude

Post by WWF Attitude on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 pm

got everything to work last night on IE instead of Chrome.

I was able to watch one of the most awful shows from 1991 in MSG (outside of the Flair vs. Piper match which was pretty good).

danhere

Post by danhere on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:04 pm

I didn't see many wcw shows pre-nitro I signed up yesterday watched part SS'94 and part AR'99
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm using the Network on Ubuntu Linux right now. A. It works Smile B. Have the servers been better today? Because right now it is working for me better than it ever has. So either they are fixing stuff or Linux is weirdly efficient at running the network.

SBR

Post by SBR on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Everything has been working fine for me today.

Post by 2kNikk on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:00 pm

This is the best. The. Best.

When are we doing old ppv nights?
    Xero

Post by Xero on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:02 pm

Seems to be working now.
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:10 pm

2kNikk wrote:This is the best. The. Best.

When are we doing old ppv nights?

Me, Skiff, Whobetta and (i think) SBR are watching summer slam 95 tonight at 9 for tIr. The rest of you are welcome to join in.

WhoBetta

Post by WhoBetta on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:12 pm

VOD is working now.

Shortly after my post last night, VOD went the way of the Dodo. So far tonight, so good.

Admin

Post by Indy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:32 pm

I'm still waiting for XBOX to be fixed.
    RFSKannon

Post by RFSKannon on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Indy wrote:I'm still waiting for XBOX to be fixed.

Same here.

The PhenomenalBullyOne

Post by The PhenomenalBullyOne on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Same but it works amazing on my PS3 I watched the whole Bash at the Beach 96 PPV and nothing happened able to fast foward Rewind Pause without any trouble. Hopefully 360 is fixed tommorow. Also still waiting for Monday Night Wars being added and ECW Hardcore TV will be awesome .
    Slayer

Post by Slayer on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:24 pm

If the Xbox app isn't working by tomorrow, then that's going to be infuriating as it means I'll have to watch NXT ArRIVAL on a laptop or my phone, both options which I abhor in comparison to watching it on Xbox.

I'm also going to finally call about the $9.99 charge tomorrow, which since it hasn't been reversed yet means that this isn't merely a hold on the account.
    SBR

Post by SBR on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:08 am

Big Dave answers some Q's you may or may not have had.

Meltz wrote:The WWE Network launched on 2/24 to two days filled with technical issues , confusion and complaints.

The idea that working with Major League Baseball Advanced Media would make things smooth sailing ended up not being the case. There were problems the first day in signing up, due to high volume demand. Some people who signed up couldn’t get anything to play. The most common problem was, and this remained until press time, is many were able to get the live stream to work, but not the archived content. Some were able to get some content, not others, had issues with the system crashing, an error message, or heavy buffering issues. It seemed to depend which device someone was streaming content through. Many were upset that they believed they were getting a free week, only to find their accounts charged $9.99. Stories of customer service calls that have been told by multiple people were almost mind-boggling, like they were straight out of a sit-com.

It raises questions regarding streaming of a PPV event, where a far larger number of people than usual will be logging in, almost all at the same time.

For all the heat Ring of Honor took with their misfires, WWE itself was shut down in trying to stream WrestleMania in 2012 for two hours, and many people had problems with the 2013 Royal Rumble, and a few pre-game shows. The demand was far higher, because prior PPVs ranged from 3,000 and 20,000 viewers, and had problems. But going forward, there could be 1 million or more people watching a major PPV this year, and if their estimates are correct, three million in 2015, and not being able to handle the volume of far less than that is concerning.

After blaming the first day problems on MLBAM being overwhelmed by the number of orders, and second day problems stating they themselves were fixing bugs that affected 20 percent of subscribers looking to access archived material, the company said they hoped things would be going smoothly by the evening of 2/25. Still, we had gotten constant feedback from people from launch and through press time, both via e-mail and Twitter, saying they couldn’t access content. People who actually surveyed a lot of people said the number had to be far greater than 20 percent, noting very few when asked individually said everything was running smoothly.

MLBAM stated that the initial demand at 9 a.m. Eastern “exceeded anything the company had ever seen in its history and overloaded the company’s e-commerce processing system,” for the earliest problems, but claimed all ordering issues were resolved by mid-afternoon. We had numerous people contact us after that statement was released saying it wasn’t the case.

It was pushed in WWE Network publicity that it would only be available in the U.S., but on television, the WWE never once stated that. Fans in the U.K., Canada and the rest of the world were under the assumption they could get the network. The plan right now is for it to debut in Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Norway, Sweden and Finland toward the end of 2014 or early 2015.

However, it was a relatively simple process to circumvent the system from outside the U.S. and order, and it appears a huge percentage of first day orders were from those countries.

In Canada, Apple TV had an icon to watch the network on Monday, meaning those in Canada believed they could get it, only to have it taken down the next day.

David Bixenspan, Ian Hamilton and Chris Harrington were able to track, because from the start, order numbers were given sequentially, total orders from about 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern time. At that point WWE evidently found out the numbers were being tracked and stopped giving out numbers. During that eight-hour period, there were more than 130,000 sign-ups. Whether that’s good or bad is hard to determine, but it’s not a number so overwhelming that they shouldn’t have been ready for it and able to process it.

The number wouldn’t include people who signed up after work ended on the East Coast, before Raw started, or ordered based on the hype going on during the Raw show. It would also have tracked a period from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the West Coast.

Of the people who sent their numbers to Bixenspan, 17% appeared to be from Europe. A poll that we conducted independently, had, as of press time, indicated of those who had signed up, only 69.8% came from the U.S., with 9.3% from the U.K., 8.3% from Canada, and 8.3% from the rest of Europe. The 17.6% from Europe figure is remarkably close enough to the Bixenspan number that it almost has to be in that ballpark.

WWE itself had projected more than 80% of subscribers when it was all up and running a year plus from now, would be from the United States. Given that, it appears that most who want the network, ordered it quickly and figured out how to do it even though they weren’t supposed to do so.

Our skew, based on the sample group, would likely skew domestic higher, not lower than the average. Given that fact, the expected early 2015 bump when those outside the U.S. will officially be able to order may not bring in the 250,000 to 750,000 new orders that they are expecting.

We did a poll on our site regarding the network. 20.4% said they had ordered the network, they’ve had some viewing problems, but overall said it was enjoyable. 13.1% said they ordered it, but have had significant viewing problems. 10.7% said they’ve ordered and had no problems. 7.0% said it was difficult getting an order through, but once it went through, there were no problems. 6.7% have not ordered, but are planning to order for WrestleMania. 4.5% are planning to order later in the year. 1.7% said they still haven’t been able to order. 27.8% say they aren’t planning to order.

The key to this is that if this is representative, and it’s probably skewed toward people who will get it first because this is based on people who look for news on a wrestling web site so are more ardent and knowledgeable fans than most, that 84% of those who will order already have. So whatever number they’ve got now may be closer to max than believed. If they did 350,000 orders on day one, and nobody cancels before the pay period starts (and that’s impossible to believe), that doesn’t seem to indicate something in the ballpark of 1 million subscribers on the day of WrestleMania. That also would indicate there will still be several hundred thousand traditional PPV orders for WrestleMania. As far as after WrestleMania, both the domestic and overseas numbers would be expected to be lower, because those overseas who order the PPVs all the time, even the B shows, are the same people who are most likely to have already ordered the network.

It also indicates about an 11% bump from the current order levels for WrestleMania, and very few orders after that point. I strongly suspect that isn’t completely representative and whatever the number is today is not 84% of what it will be a year from now. But it may be a large percentage. I do believe the day after WrestleMania number, which the WWE has said they will release publicly, will be very close to the number that ends up as the baseline going forward, at least for the U.S. market. Realistically, if they aren’t close to 1 million then, it is unlikely they will be by the end of the year.

The company’s first live event will be an NXT special, on 2/27, starting at 8 p.m., from Full Sail University, called NXT Arrival. While never said officially, those in the company believed the show, produced to be like a PPV, will be two hours in length, and feature guest appearances by John Cena, The New Age Outlaws and Sheamus. There will be a pre-game show at 7:30 p.m. with Bret Hart, Kevin Nash and Paul Heyman. The three main matches are Bo Dallas defending the NXT title against Adrian Neville in a ladder match, Antonio Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn 2/3 falls and Paige vs. Emma for the NXT women’s title. The hope is if the show goes well, that they similar quarterly live specials like this on the network.

Most of the content advertised at the start was there, although many of the first-run television shows advertised haven’t debuted yet. Many of the shows were produced years ago, such as Legends House being two years old. It was eerie seeing the debut of a feature on the first WrestleMania, the debut of the “WrestleMania Rewind” show, featuring Pat Summerall as the lead voice, since he passed away in April.

At its launch, also available was:

The expectation that all the current television shows would be up isn’t the case. Superstars and NXT will be debuting first on the network, with NXT in a Thursday night 9 p.m. time slot, head-to-head with Impact starting on 3/6. NXT will remain on Hulu, but debut there on Friday nights instead of Wednesday night as in the past. The replays of Raw and Smackdown will remain on Hulu Plus the day after the show, with Raw edited to 90 minutes. But they will not appear on the network until 30 days after their television debut. Episodes of Raw and Smackdown for 2012, 2013, and the first three weeks of January 2014 were up the first day.

Superstars will air weekly on Thursdays at 10 p.m.

There were also 11 other episodes of Raw up, the first nine episodes in the show’s history from 1993, and two episodes in 1998. For Smackdown, one episode, the first one from 1999, was up prior to 2012.

There were four ECW TV shows, two each from 1993 and 1994. Joey Styles had indicated once that the entire run of ECW TV shows would be available. The only pre-1990 territorial television show up was a November 2, 1982 episode of World Class Championship Wrestling.

There was also talk of every Madison Square Garden event that was taped being up, but in actuality, there were five shows, one each from 1975, 1977, 1981, 1984 and 1991.

There is also a Goldust mini bio, a “This is NXT” special,” and three Legends Round Table shows that were originally on Classics on Demand. With the exception of the live stream, the PPV library, NXT and the current shows, the content is similar to the Classics on Demand 24/7 channel that was recently discontinued.

While not there in every case, the message that is supposed to appear before every show featuring Chris Benoit is to read:

“The following program is presented in its original form. It may contain some content that does not reflect WWE’s corporate views and may not be suitable for all viewers. WWE characters are fictitious and do not reflect the personal lives of the actors portraying them. Viewer discretion is advised. You can block access to this program and others like it using the Parental Control feature in your WWE Network account settings,”

Before the Over the Edge PPV from 1999, the show Owen Hart died from falling from the ceiling, there were edits not showing certain aspects of the show, and opened with a message that read: “In Memory of Owen Hart (1965-1999), who accidentally passed away during the broadcast.”

There are searches by wrestler, which have every wrestler they had records of appearing for the company. There are numerous names listed that nothing of that wrestler are actually on the network. The only name not in the search of mainline stars was Benoit.

Essentially, the technical reason some things did and didn’t work, or didn’t work on different devices was because for both video-on-demand and live streams, WWE and MLBAM are using a content distribution network of a number of caching services in various locations around the country. These servers bring content geographically closer to a user requesting it. But they only serve what is expected to be the most popular content. That’s why the live stream has few problems, but some video-on-demand material that they didn’t expect there would be much interest in, such as WCW and ECW PPVs, have had more problems. When a user requests content not part of the local cache, the cache has to request it, taking time and server resources.

What happened the first two days is too many users requested too much different content, and they don’t have either the storage or bandwidth to retrieve it and serve it quickly enough.

The crashing of the ability to order it was because they were preparing for fewer orders than they received, which in a sense, is a good problem. That problem could occur again during WrestleMania week, so it would be encouraged that if you are ordering for WrestleMania, to order a week out when demand on the servers would be low.

In addition, at the launch presentation, they advertised that every DVD release will be available on the network. But at launch, only one, the Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels documentary was available.

Almost every WWE, WCW and ECW PPV show was available as advertised, with a few exceptions.

The key exceptions include: The December 12, 1989 No Holds Barred: The Movie/The Match show, the May 6, 2000, Insurrextion PPV (originally available on PPV in Europe only); July 10, 2002 Global Warning (originally available on PPV in Australia only); the 2014 Royal Rumble (which is likely to be available later this week when the 30 day window expires); the March 21, 1991 Starrcade in Tokyo Dome show; the July 14, 1991 Great American Bash (one of the worst PPVs ever, I was told it was available but in the big listing it wasn’t there, but if you looked by the year it is); January 4, 1992 Starrcade 2002 in Tokyo Dome; January 4, 1993 Fantastic Story in Tokyo Dome; November 6, 1994 When World’s Collide (one of the best PPVs ever); August 4, 1995 Collision in Korea (before the largest crowd in pro wrestling history); March 15, 1998 Uncensored (also likely an oversight and perhaps available but not in the big listing); and the February 12, 1999 ECW Crossing the Line show.

A few of those are likely oversights, a few, because they didn’t air in the U.S., may have simply been forgotten, and a few, those working with other promotions, there may be a rights issue involved.

There are the expected music rights edits and the spot where Stacy Carter took off her top (which she did on her own for attention, thinking it would help break her out of the pack) and bared her breasts, was digitized as expected. A lot of profanity on old ECW shows was censored, specifically many interviews by Shane Douglas and double entendres promos by Joel Gertner. There were a lot of complaints by old ECW fans who believed that kind of stuff would be uncensored.

There are also some unexpected edits. Some WCW PPVs had matches missing or matches edited. It appeared in a few cases they used the version released on home video, cut to two hours, so some of the prelim matches were left off, and some of the matches had several minutes edited out. In those cases, the home video version is likely the only copy WCW had of those shows when they sold the library to WWF in 2001.

The network will be available only in English, aside from the PPV shows, where there is the option to get the Spanish language feed.

Regarding the lineup of major events, besides WrestleMania, they will air the entire Hall of Fame ceremony live at 9 p.m. on 4/5 (it will then be replayed on the USA Network two days later, edited down to about one hour), there is a Raw pre-show at 7:30 p.m. every Monday and post-show for 30 minutes after the show goes off the air. There are also Smackdown pre-and -post game shows at 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. every Friday.

WrestleMania Rewind will be a weekly series that airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. WWE Countdown (fan voting to countdown the top 10 or 20 whatever in history) will be Tuesdays at 10 p.m. Legends House begins Thursdays at 8 p.m. This Is NXT is a one-hour one-time special already up. A show called Beyond The Ring, which will be the DVD documentaries of various major stars, will air Saturdays at 8 p.m. The Best of Raw will be a new show added each week on Thursdays at 4:30 p.m. The Best of Smackdown will be similar on Saturdays at 1 p.m. All of those shows will also be available on video-on-demand.

Post by Indy on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:19 am

It will be interesting to see if the cable companies play ball again if this falls flat on it's face.

I'm rooting for it though, I'm really hoping the XBOX issue is fixed soon though. Hate watching on the laptop.

Also-- I've seen a few ex WWE wrestlers on facebook mad about royalty issues the network is causing.

The PhenomenalBullyOne

Post by The PhenomenalBullyOne on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:34 am

Indy wrote:It will be interesting to see if the cable companies play ball again if this falls flat on it's face.

I'm rooting for it though,  I'm really hoping the XBOX issue is fixed soon though.  Hate watching on the laptop.

Also--  I've seen a few ex WWE wrestlers on facebook mad about royalty issues the network is causing.

i've read on facebook Indy that some people are signing in with the Xbox sure they r just lieing and we still cant get in
    RFSKannon

Post by RFSKannon on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:11 pm

Hrm, Well I was watching some VOD an edition of Legends Round Table "Worst characters" (One of my favorite editions) Tried to watch the WCCW episode, but it wouldn't load. Then went with an NXT show it loaded, my browser decided to randomly close (Olky happens on my laptop). After that nothing on the Network would load.

The PhenomenalBullyOne

Post by The PhenomenalBullyOne on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:08 pm

any new updates about the network problems?
    SBR

Post by SBR on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:11 pm

Stream and VOD has been working great for me for the past day or so. I don't know about XBox.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 pm