WWE/NBCU negotiations end without a renewal

RFSKannon

WWE/NBCU negotiations end without a renewal

Post by RFSKannon on Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Courtesy of PWTorch:

WWE and NBC Universal's negotiating window expired without a new TV deal for Raw, Smackdown, and other WWE programming, reports Variety. Now, WWE is free to negotiate with other conglomerates.

In a statement issued to Variety, WWE described their relationship with NBCU in the past-tense, despite NBCU having the opportunity to re-engage negotiations after WWE tests the open market.

“While we were unable to reach an agreement with NBCU during this period, we have certainly appreciated our long and productive partnership," WWE said before changing the tone to a passive-aggressive dig at NBCU. "With year-round, live programming that is highly coveted by programmers, distributors, and advertisers, we are extremely excited about our future. We look forward to engaging with potential partners who recognize the value of having the #1 show on cable and live content delivered 52 weeks a year.”

WWE is seeking two or three times the amount NBCU is paying annually, which is valued at $140-150 million. WWE executive Michelle Wilson said WWE will now find out what the market will bear.

“We’ve never been in this situation where we’re able to go into the marketplace with both ‘Raw’ and ‘SmackDown,’” said Wilson. “We’re going to let the marketplace decide the value of our programming.”

WWE's current deal with NBCU calls for Raw and Smackdown to continue airing on USA Network and Syfy, respectively, through September 30.

NBCU would like to see Raw remain on USA Network due to the guaranteed #1 ranking that Raw helps deliver for their flagship cable TV channel. However, NBCU is now owned by Comcast, which continues to re-organize the NBCU unit and recently announced intentions to buy Time Warner Cable.

Caldwell's Analysis: Now things get interesting. How much is Newscorp./Fox willing to pay? How about Viacom? Another player? WWE is clearly taking these negotiations seriously, as they believe they can get a lot more than their "friendly agreement" deal from NBCU.

I think they just may end up staying with NBCU after WWE fields any potential offers, but I am not entirely sure if anyone really wants to air wrestling these days outside NBCU and Viacom.
    Swarles
    Admin

Re: WWE/NBCU negotiations end without a renewal

Post by Swarles on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Viacom has equally big pockets though. And you know how bad they want a good lead for bellator....

The PhenomenalBullyOne

Post by The PhenomenalBullyOne on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:19 pm

So bassically NBC is hoping hey look you guys aren't getting picked up by nobody u need us kinda of deal or the other networks are going to pay the same money NBC is giving them and going to decide to stick with NBC either way? is what I am figuring NBC is hoping.
    SBR

Post by SBR on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:28 pm

WWE probably wants to stay on USA but by becoming a "free agent" they are able to jack the price up. Spike is a real possible destination again though.

The PhenomenalBullyOne

Post by The PhenomenalBullyOne on Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:18 pm

SBR wrote:WWE probably wants to stay on USA but by becoming a "free agent" they are able to jack the price up. Spike is a real possible destination again though.

I am not sure what Spike feeling is towards the WWE for leaving in 05 when their deal was up. Theres no saying that WWE won't leave again after their spike contract is up if they sign. If I was WWE I just place Raw and Smackdown! on the Network and make 100% profit.

danhere

Post by danhere on Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:23 pm

I think if they leave the NBCU networks TNA would prob go after it.
    Spike isn't a great deal if you think about it.
    with NBCU: They get the cable stations plus the nbc station
    with Spike : they only get cable stations (cbs and viacom split a few years back
    so they wouldn't get the station)
    other options:would be Fox Sports,which would give them cable and fox station
    Xero

Post by Xero on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:36 pm

They should try to get picked up by the WWE Network.

danhere

Post by danhere on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Xero wrote:They should try to get picked up by the WWE Network.

that what I was thinking as well
    WhoBetta

Post by WhoBetta on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:00 pm

My take: NBC is calling Vince's bluff. Vince is bluffing. NBC just saved themselves millions.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:48 am